This Hall on the North-East coast, was build for the Delaval family in the early 1700s. Its architect was Sir John Vanbrugh, who was also responsible for Blenheim Palace. The style of the building is English Baroque, and it consists of a main, central entrance block with a large wing to each side.
It was the central block that was gutted by fire in 1822. Since then the state rooms have never been restored fully, so this part of the hall is largely a shell. However the original carved fireplace and ceiling decorations can still be seen. The first floor of the building displays letters and documents belonging to the Delavals that go back hundreds of years, some of which are from past kings and queens.
The West wing is furnished, and still used by the family. Outbuildings such as the ice house and coach house are of interest, with several old vehicles being housed there.
Seaton Delaval Hall has fine formal gardens. Features include an enormous 270 year old willow tree, a maze, goldfish pond and lawned areas. There is a summerhouse which sells drinks and cakes, allowing guests to sit in the gardens and relax on a fine day.
A domed mausoleum is located in the gardens, erected to Lord Delaval's son who died in 1775, as a result of 'being kicked in a vital organ by a laundry maid to whom he was paying his addresses'. Another interesting attraction in the gardens is the ancient chapel of Our Lady.